PawzforThought

PawzforThought
Rescuing Animals in the North East

Sponsor me

Sponsor me
Race for life 2011 sponsor page

Thursday 9 September 2010

Lurgy Spoiler.......

Well with less than a week to go i'm loaded with cold. No-one I know has one, except one of the girls I used to work with who i've not seen since May....so unless the cold virus has mutated so it can travel through email or text I have no idea how i've got it. I went for a run with hubby on mon night from our house to his friends and back, which was a nice gentle run, a bit of grass, a bit of road and a few hills. It was really windy and it did slow you down a bit having it blasting in your face, I took my jacket but ended up tying it round my waist to run back cos I was so warm. My nose also was running loads on the way back - should have realised that was the sign of a cold on the way. I've been taking multivitamins every day but I think with working all week (including a 10pm finish on Thursday) followed by an all day wedding on the Friday, a leaving party on the Saturday which went on til the early hours, then a 4 hour treasure hunt on the Sunday.....i'm just completely run down. So there's been no running for me since, just early nights and a concoction of tablets and high energy food to try fight off this cold. Apparently if its just a head cold I can still run - providing my temperature has gone, according to all the runners forums and magazines if you have a fever its likely to be a viral cold or infection and if you exercise with a virus it can attack your heart (you hear of perfectly fit people keeling over and dying at the finish line - bet that's cos they ran with a cold). Also if its chesty or you've got a cough and you run you can end up with fluid on the lungs, a collapsed lung or even more fun pneumonia!! So now the sore throat has eased off, i'm praying it stays above my throat and doesn't develop any further. Then all i've got to do is get rid of my temperature.....and of course the lovely snotty nose & congestion that I have at the minute. I could run with the snotty nose but the congested head is a bit of a killer - dont fancy a pounding head on race day. I've put in so much effort I would hate to have to miss it just cos of a case of the sniffles - broken leg yes, cold no way!

The last of the cakes for the busy August/September period has been done - woo hoo! Since hubby enjoyed himself making the piano cake he wanted to make the sponge. So he did. Bless him, he followed the recipe to the letter, exact measurements with scales, following the instructions exactly by putting the ingredients in he exact order and mixing exactly as long as the recipe said. I usually just chuck it all in and mix til it looks combined-ish. He even spread the buttercream & jam in the centre. They looked like pretty good sponge cakes to me - I was very impressed. I iced the cake with blue roll out icing with a few bits of white folded into it to make it look like sea, and hubby traced a map of Australia with a cocktail stick into the light brown coloured icing and I made a flaming galah (a parrot with some flames stuck on), and a kangaroo & koala that i'd modelled out of leftover bits of icing and left out to harden earlier in the week, plus a grey icing shark fin. A last minute trip to Asda for giant jelly tarantulas from the pick n mix & a bag of fizzy snakes sorted the outside decoration. I never got a piece of this cake either.........but Emma my sister in law got a wedge of it and said it was lush, also one of the revellers who came back to the house for the after party apparently stole the galah off the top of the cake so clearly that was popular!!

Pray for me to be healthy in time for the run - i've got blue spray paint for my hair, blue legwarmers and blue sweat bands specially.

No comments:

Post a Comment